What is Emotional Intelligence?
EQ is extremely important. Dare we say that it is more important than IQ? When we have a high EQ we have the ability to slow down, step back and assess what's happening when we feel a WAVE OF YUCK passing through. We self-regulate. We RESPOND versus REACT in a tough moment and, overall, practice emotional awareness, and then emotional self-care...which enables us to practice social awareness.
Some EQ facts:
- Research has shown that emotional intelligence or EQ “predicts over 54% of the variation in success (relationships, effectiveness, health, quality of life). Resource and read more here.
- Additional data concludes that “young people with high EQ earn higher grades, stay in school, and make healthier choices.” Resource and read more here.
- In one huge longitudinal British study published in 2011, babies were followed through childhood and into adulthood for fifty years. Their success and happiness in life was strongly correlated to their emotional intelligence. Other studies link emotional health to better mental and physical health, more academic and employment success and happier marriages. Resource and read more here.
Some EQ Facts for adults...
- 90% of the top performers have high EQ.
- People with high EQ's make 29,000 more annually than their low EQ counterparts
- EQ is responsible for 58% of your job performance (and yes, that includes when your job is a stay-at-home parent)! Resource for these three stats
Articles and Blogs:
What is Emotional Intelligence (EQ)? By Michael Akers & Grover Porter
Why We Need to Teach Kids Emotional Intelligence By Lisa Firestone Ph.D.
5 Steps To Nurture Emotional Intelligence in Your Child By Aha Parenting
How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child By Aha Parenting
Excellent EQ Resources:
John Gottman, PhD is renowned in the therapy field for his work with Emotional Intelligence for couples, parents, and children. Check out his website: www.gottman.com, specifically these two items for parents:
Emotion Coaching: DVD, Manual, Online Streaming
"Be there for your child when it really counts using parenting tools developed from Dr. Gottman’s research on emotional intelligence."
AWESOME BOOK: Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
Little Tip: You can get this book for $5 less on Amazon!
"Dr. Gottman draws on his studies of more than 120 families to zero in on the parenting techniques that ensure a child’s emotional health. He then translates his methods into an easy, five-step “emotion coaching” process to help parents..."